Friday, August 15, 2008

Step 1, teach them to drive

I saw this today. This is why I live in Texas.

-------------------------------------
LONGVIEW, Texas - A 35-year-old Texas woman has been jailed after police say she made her 12-year-old daughter drive her to a bar.

Police in Longview say they watched a minivan turn into a driveway without signaling on Wednesday and bump into a home at a low speed. They say the car was driven by Jennifer Lynn Rosenberg's daughter.

Police say the girl told an officer she had just dropped her mother off at a bar. They say they found Rosenburg at the bar and that she admitted having her daughter drive her there.
-------------------------------------

People, you can't be cutting corners here. You have to teach your 12 year old how to drive BEFORE you have them drop you off at the bar. That's step 1. Step 2 is teaching them to signal and not hit the house when a cop is following them. I had to learn this when I was 12, it's just good parenting.

I find myself asking this question way too many times, but here it goes again. What the hell is wrong with these people?

My 15 year old has his learning permit now... hmmm. I'd have him drive me to the bar but then I would have to listen to him preaching to me about how beer is bad for you because he learned it in health class. I can't have that conversation again. I need him around to water the pot plants in the basement.

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

Don't think that stupidity is specific to Texas. It's widespread. From a person who's lived all throughout the midwest, let me assure you. it is an epidemic.

Anonymous said...

It is very important to teach the chillens responsibilty when they are young so when the parents are in the retirement home, they will know to bring brand name vodka instead of that cheap stuff.

Anonymous said...

I knew I was doing something wrong when I let my 3 y.o on a 4 wheeler - alone - for the first time. Well, we've got a couple years before she has to drive me to the bar. Unbelieveable...

Anonymous said...

I'm so filing this away for future reference.

You know, cuz I'm all about following the rules.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I can't wait til my kids get their permits so they I can finally have a margarita at the Mexican restaurant and not have to drive home....


KEEP BELIEVING

Anonymous said...

not just a texas thang. The first time i drove with my dad was 9, the first time I drove to town by myself to grocery shop was 12. The LAST time I drove him to a bar was at 15. After sitting in the truck waiting for over an hour, I slipped in the back door just in time to see my friends grandpa pull out a small gun. Guess who he had it pointed at? yep, my dad...who, btw, was holding the big end of a broken pool que like a bat. Waiting in the car wasn't so bad after seeing that...But I made sure I wasnt around whenever he needed a ride after that.

dadthedude said...

Anonymous -- dude!